Saturday 2 July 2016

5 Reasons to Follow Book Recommendations

I rarely read books. I don't know if it's because my university course requires quite a bit of reading, or whether it's because I currently have about 10 unfinished books on the go, but actually reading a book from start to finish is something I do about four to five times a year.


It's not that I don't enjoy my style of reading. The feeling I get from finishing a book is especially great when it's a somewhat rare accomplishment. But it got me thinking: what's so special about the books I read to the end? 

I enjoy all types of books, especially thrillers and crime novels, and the books I get halfway through are certainly not bad reads, but the main difference is that books I finish have usually been recommended to me by somebody.

So why? 

Why is it so much easier for me to finish a book that's been recommended to me? Well, I've come up with a few reasons:
  1. Accountability
    Being recommended a book gives you some kind of accountability. Once you've told the recommender that you have a copy you intend to read, they are bound to follow up later with some questions about how you're finding it. For people who struggle to finish books, this can be a good way of keeping yourself motivated through the many pages.
    .
  2. Sharing in their passion
    When the recommender tells you about the book, their passion for it will probably show. When I was recommended The Lie Tree (link to buy here), the lady who recommended it at the book shop talked about it with so much passion that I could feel it and see the glow in her eyes. This passion then transferred to me once I had read the book.
    .
  3. Bringing you closer
    When you see someone's passion for something and experience it yourself, it can bring you closer to that person. Reading their recommendation may also lead to you spending more time with them and discussing the book with them, which can bring you closer as well.
    .
  4. Passing it on
    When I had finished The Lie Tree and felt passionate about it, I recommended it onto about 3 other people. If they all read it and passed it onto more people, then it would be read by a lot more people than if the recommender had not shared it with me. It's a snowball effect where the more we follow recommendations and give them, the more the book is read.
    .
  5. People to discuss it with 
    And the more the book is read, the more people you have to discuss the book with. There's nothing better than finishing a great book and having someone you can phone or meet with to have a good chat about it. 
Things to help you follow and give recommendations more:
  • Joining a reading group
    There are many reading groups which meet once or twice a month, usually at libraries or similar places. There you can read a book in the knowledge that everyone in the group is reading it, and you have somewhere to discuss it for a dedicated hour!
  • Giving away your books
    Instead of letting your finished books build up on your already-overcrowded bookshelf, try passing it on. Carry it in your bag next time you're meeting a friend, and suggest it. If they like the sound of the book you can whip it out of your bag and they can get started straight away!

Of course, this recommendations idea doesn't just apply to books. It also applies to other things like where to go on days out, films to watch, theatre productions, and the list goes on. My recommendation for you readers is The Lie Tree because it's the first book I had read so avidly since I was a young teenage reader! 

I love fiction books - see my writing about how they help recovery on the Biblio website at this link. Let me know how you get on as usual in the comments, shares and likes! 

Image from here


No comments:

Post a Comment